Saturday, November 26, 2011

Geschmack: Hanselmännchen und Butternikolaus


Yum.

Let me introduce you to my two new best friends, Hanselmännchen and Butternikolaus.  I'm not sure who I like better.  Hansel is a soft sweet bun shaped like a little man with raisin eyes.  Nikolaus, sporting a jaunty white cap, is a butter cookie as big as a plate.  I am also getting to know Butternikolaus's cousin, Quarkteig-Nikolaus, but he has some political views that I am not very keen on.

Sadly, they are here for a limited time only.  These seasonal baked goods are here to celebrate the period between St Martin's Day, which was a little while back (I'm not exactly sure when or why, but there was a goose dinner and excited children involved) and St Nicholas's Day on December 6, at which point they will head back to the North Pole or a candy cane witch's house or wherever seasonal baked goods spend the rest of the season.  What Hansel has to do with either Martin or Nicholas I am not sure, and the ladies at my local bakery seem to think its strange that I have any questions about the fact that they are selling baby-sized man-shaped cakes.  I'm not looking forward to a December without these guys.

Really, these pastries are way too big for a single person, but, due to their anthropomorphic qualities, they are also very difficult to share.  Who wants to draw and quarter St Nick?  There's something a little sad about going back for seconds to a sticky pastry box emptied of everything but a left arm and right leg.

image via chefkoch.de

No comments:

Post a Comment