Thursday, April 14, 2011

Word Up: die Vorstellung

 
Vorstellung f (Bekanntmachen) introduction

    It has come to my attention that I got more than a little bit ahead of myself last week.  Allow me to introduce myself.
    The reason I am busy watching nuns in a hotel lounge while the rest of the world is working is that I am accompanying my boyfriend on a five month stay in Stuttgart, Germany.  He's here to work 50 hours a week, and I am here to develop a connoisseur's taste for all things European.  Let's call it even.
    While on paper it looks like I have all the free time in the world to drink Kaffee in the park, langorously sample strudel from each local Bäckerei, and perform other fanciful activities like, say, blog, I have actually been very busy trying to figure out how Germany works.  It is not like North America.
    Case in point: the toilet.  How does it flush?  Why are there two buttons?  These questions, asked unfortunately only after our landlord had left us alone in our new fully-furnished apartment, provoked an hour-long escapade that took us from curiosity to exasperation to grief.  Thankfully, it was finally resolved by Youtube.
    Now, if it took us an hour to figure out how to flush a toilet here, you can guess how long I've spent trying to figure out how to open a bank account.  If only there was a Youtube video for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment